Friday 2 May 2008

Oh Yes! Bettys!


I know someone is going to tell me that Bettys isn't ethnic and it certainly isn't in London. But I always want to tell other people about any good (or bad) food experiences I have. I was in Harrogate at the beginning of the week and I found myself standing in front of Bettys, as if by magic. I believe in fate and destiny and so on. I do believe it was fate for me to be standing in front of the mouth-watering window displays of the famed bakery and restaurant. So I went in. I really wanted to have their stem ginger cake but they were all out. Instead, I had the warm ginger sponge with toffee sauce and creme fraiche. It was wonderful! The creme fraiche just cut through the utter sweetness of the toffee sauce. There was a slight gingerness in the sponge but you hardly noticed. And it was warm, just right. Really wonderful! I then proceeded to have the rarebit. I know I had an upside down meal - dessert and coffee before the main meal. But who cares?! The rarebit was also lovely with the tomato chutney. Although I must say that I have had better chutney. All the same I enjoyed it. It wasn't the cheapest afternoon tea I have had; it cost £30 for two people. But it is Bettys after all. I took home a tray of shortbread and a caddy of tea. Shame the shortbread only lasted a few minutes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I loved Betty's in York.SO VERY LOVELY.Kudos to the chef for the haddock frittata.Excellent! I, in fact, very much liked the tomato
chutney and was wondering if anyone
could direct me towards a similar recipe ( tomatoes,apples onions etc.).I have not had much success
with my own search. Thanks.