Saturday 21 July 2007

Probably the best falafel in the world

I spent the whole of this week in Shepherd's Bush on a business course. Going somewhere new always bothers me a bit because I never know where the best places to eat are. And because lunch was not being provided, I either had to prepare lunch and take it with me or I had to find the best places to eat. Suffice to say that I didn't take my lunch with me. So I had to find the best places to have lunch in Shepherd's Bush. The other problem was that for the first two days of this course, we only had 30 minutes for lunch. This is just not enough time to go looking for a restaurant or to order food which takes too long to be made. The only option was to get a takeaway.
If you know Shepherd's Bush, you will know that there are a great number of different ethnic restaurants and takeaways including Syrian, Caribbean and a whole host more. Hidden inside Shepherd's Bush market was The Grill, a small and very clean place serving Middle Eastern food. I opted for the falafel and my friend had the chicken samosa. The falafel was fantastic freshly fried before my very eyes, served inside a flatbread filled with all the trimmings of fried aubergines, hummus, pickles, chopped salad, tahini and hot sauce.
I loved the falafel so much that I went back there a second time. Two wonderful things happened. Firstly, the guy serving me remembered my and my friend's order from the previous day and secondly, he told me where I was going wrong with my falafel preparation and why my falafel never tastes as good as I have had elsewhere. One of the things he said is that falafel is made in two ways - either with a mixture of broad beans and chick peas as with the Turkish or Egyptian falafel or with chick peas alone for the Arab or Israeli falafel.
I do know that I prefer the mix of beans and chick peas in my falafel and from now on that will be my way of making falafel. I have, however, been warned about making sure I soak the beans well to avoid poisoning.

No comments: